Saturday, June 27, 2020

Soon it will be July

How did this happen? July just a few days away? Where did our spring and summer run off too? Have they been hijacked by the novel coronavirus, COVID 19? 

I find myself hijacked by the Pandemic that is sweeping through our world, our country, and communities. But during these uncertain times I cling to the trails, open spaces, and public lands that are so near my doorstep. Each day I find a new appreciation for the lush brush, wildflowers, and canopy of green that greet me on the trail. The spring feed stream that parallels my favorite trail-a playground for butterflies, bees, and my dogs-never disappoints. I know I'm lucky, and I am learning to be more thankful for these spaces. I'm becoming a vocal advocate for their preservation. None of us can forget that many of the wild places we love and care about are under attack and we must take action to keep them safe for now and future generations.


Our trail challenge has begun. We started out slowly, planning on visiting all the trails on the 2019 Trails Foundation of Northern Utah map. There were 66 of them so we started early, in May. Then, two weeks ago we got the 2020 map. Trouble! Now there are 77 and the pace must pick-up since we need to have them done by October. Thank goodness REI has opened back up, I really needed new shoes. So off we go!
To date we have concurred Winter's Grove Nature Trails (6 times). This is our Greater Wasatch  Broadband adopted trail so we get their a lot. In addition we have hiked the WSU Discovery Trail, Bues Canyon, Taylor Canyon, Pine Creek Trail at Nordic Valley, parts of the Centennial Trail (Church Loop and Uinta section), Jumpoff Canyon and the North Bonneville Shoreline Trail, the Ogden Valley side of the Pioneer Trail, and on our bikes the Mountain View Corridor, Pleasant View Parkway, and the Independence Parkway. Most of these locations were new to us and we always found something unexpected. We saw cranes and pelicans at Winter's Grove, found no humans on the Pioneer Trail, and witnessed so many early wildflowers on the Centennial Trail my camera ran out of battery. 

Get outside and find your unexpected!



No comments:

Post a Comment