Friday, October 9, 2020

Goals Provide Inspiration

DREAM BIG

"You are never too old to set a new goal or to dream a new dream," said novelist C.S. Lewis. I like that advice! Bruce Lee also said a goal is something to aim for, and I like that too. For me, setting a goal helps with my motivation and this year more than any other I needed that extra push.

As we near October 17 and the end of our Broads View hiking challenge, I'm reflecting on what I achieved and learned over the course of the summer. I learned that no matter where I hiked/biked I discovered something new. It didn't matter if it was on familiar ground or a brand new destination. I focused on slowing down and becoming a better listener. 

I listened to the sounds of nature, hearing for the first times the soft snap of cottonwood leaves as they left their home high in the trees and made their annual pilgrimage to the ground below. I volunteered on a trail project and discovered new friends who share my concerns for public lands. I traveled to new trails near my home that I never took the time to explore and found them to be delightful and worth a return trip. I wrote to trail organizations and thanked them for their efforts and I donated money to their cause.


On the second Saturday of October I will celebrate the summer of 2020, not on the summit of a favorite peak as I initially intended (since I sprained my ankle a few weeks ago and won't be ready to go far), but somewhere in the great outdoors, in a wild place and on public land. I am so grateful for the many individuals and organizations who are fighting to keep these lands in public hands and am happy to be part of that mission. Thank you Great Old Broads for Wilderness for all your hard work and dedication.

Michelle Obama said, "The only limit to the height of your achievements is the reach of your dreams and your willingness to work for them." Let's all keep DREAMING BIG!













No comments:

Post a Comment